Sunday, August 17, 2008

Vacant Interior Castles

While waiting in the barber shop yesterday, my barber received some extra assistance as my hair stood on end after reading a sad article in my town's local newspaper. I was dismayed to read that the Community of Teresian Carmelites has lost their recognition from our diocese and bishop, Robert J. McManus. I am ashamed to admit that although I've known of them for a very long time and they happen to be practically around the corner from my home of 17 years, I have never personally investigated them (I highly respect Carmelite spirituality, but it's not a path for me). What makes my hair stand on end? The stated diocesan reason for the loss of canonical status" "...the group was too small to spiritually sustain itself and there was little possibility of growth."

This happened quite a few years ago to the Monks of Adoration that originally formed in my diocese and moved to Florida where they found new recognition.

I do not pretend to understand the inner workings of a diocese, the unfortunate necessity of business that comes with it or the dealings both in and outside a religious community. But in a Church where the pursuit of vocation is at such a low, I cannot understand why dedication to one's vocation in the roughest of times increasingly seems to meet with disapproval. One would think the Biblical response would be to help carry the cross instead of the denial of Peter!

I guess I have to comment because I see this in relation to my own long anguish of the diocese refusing to offer spiritual guidance and vocation discernment. I admit I still have a hard time letting go.

(said of God): If this is the way you treat your friends, it's no wonder you have so few! --St. Teresa of Avila

No comments: